I've given up and need help. I've searched the usual online sources for this info and tried everything I found there, which includes:
First try - the messy grease and a dowel trick = you've gotta be joking man!
Second - bolt head just small enough to fit, Vice Grips and pound with a BFH = busted knuckles and a chip outta the guide tube mounting flange
Third method - same as above with a length of heavy chain attached = more swearing, pain and frustration Fourth method - slide hammer with a standard hook attachment = golly gee, there's no room to operate one of these up in dere!!!
Fifth method - Go to Autozone and get a loaner tool = Not only are the jaws too big to fit, but to use it, you put it on the end of a... That's right, a slide hammer!
So, any ideas? Left up to me, I believe my next step would have to be a strategically placed dab of C4!
'88 Marine Blue 5spd
I've got a very small puller that works and I will send you a picture of it.
I saw the dowel and grease method used helping Greg Nichols extract his pilot bearing. Worked like a champ. The dowel has to be a very close fit. Greg sanded down a piece of dowel to get it exact (take your new bearing to the hardware store where you get the dowel). Pack the cavity full of molly grease and a couple light taps will take it right out. It was amazing how easy it worked.
Another thing I used when my bearing failed was a nut and bolt type tool
that I used with a piece of steel to pull the outer race (all that was
left of the bearing). The company is called Extractor R Us and the tool
was like $4.00, See: http://members.rennlist.com/extractorrus I think
he is still in business. You can see a picture of the tool (a nut and odd
wedge shaped bolt) I got from him next to my pilot shaft, new bearing, the
steel plate I manufactured to use on the race and the old race at:
I think he needs to make a smaller version just for the 928, but the smallest version he makes will probably do the trick if you are good at making ships in a bottle. :-)
You can see everything that can go wrong with a clutch replacement at:
After a similar complete failure with the grease method, I made my own puller using some bar stock, all thread and nuts. Not pretty, but worked like a charm.